Legal Resources for Victims of Vaping
Vaping companies have marketed their products as safer alternatives to smoking. However, vaping comes with real and significant risks.
Notable risks of vaping products include:
- Nicotine Addiction: The average JUULpod contains the same amount of nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes, putting users at a high risk of nicotine addiction. Nicotine addiction can rewire the brain to want more of the drug and also cause mood swings, seizures, and strokes.
- Battery explosions: Vape batteries can overheat and explode. This may lead to physical injury, disfigurement, severe burns, or even death.
Researchers are also investigating other vaping-related health risks, such as cardiovascular issues, bronchitis, and lung damage.
Any of these injuries or illnesses may be costly to treat and cause lengthy hospital stays.
For example, in 2017, a man spent over 100 days in the hospital after suffering a stroke allegedly caused by vaping. The man needed three brain surgeries and is still partially paralyzed.
Because of this, many have taken legal action to help pay for their medical bills and prevent others from suffering in the future.
Today, you may be able to receive compensation if a vape product harmed you.
- Vape companies like JUUL Labs have faced lawsuits and government investigation.
- Working with an experienced lawyer is the best way for victims to receive compensation.
Through a lawsuit, victims and their families may be able to receive financial compensation. Those harmed by vaping products may be able to file a few different types of lawsuits, depending on their situation.
Types of lawsuits include:
- Personal injury lawsuits: If someone gets hurt or sick, they may file a personal injury lawsuit if they believe another party is at fault.
- Class-action lawsuits: In this type of lawsuit, many people who have experienced the same type of harm jointly take action. Several class-action lawsuits have been filed against major vape companies like JUUL Labs.
- Wrongful death lawsuits: These lawsuits are filed by a victim’s family in the event of their death. In 2019, the family of a 24-year-old man filed a wrongful death lawsuit after a vape pen exploded in his face and killed him.
Lawsuits can either be settled out of court or go to trial.
In a settlement, the plaintiff — the party that is suing — receives a lump sum. Settlements are typically faster and more common, as they skip the lengthy and risky trial phase.
About 95% of personal injury cases are settled instead of going to trial.
In a trial, the case is heard by a judge and/or jury. A verdict is decided after both sides make their case. While compensation awarded through a trial is typically higher, trials are riskier.
It can take longer to reach a verdict in a trial than in a settlement. Also, if the verdict is in favor of the vape company, you will receive nothing.
The type of lawsuit that you file will depend on a few factors. These factors include the type of injury or illness that has developed and whether it affected you or someone you love. An experienced lawyer can help you determine which type of lawsuit to file.
Vape Injury Lawyers
If you decide to take legal action after a vaping-related injury or illness, it is important to work with a lawyer who has handled other personal injury cases with success.
Working with an experienced lawyer can make the legal process easier for you and your family.
An experienced lawyer can:
- Build a strong case on your behalf
- File your case properly and on time
- Keep you informed as the case moves forward
- Update you with settlement options
- Represent your best interests in a trial
When a lawyer is handling complicated legal matters on your behalf, you have more time to spend with your family. This will allow you to focus on recovery from a vape-related injury or illness while still taking action.
The best lawyers will work on a contingency basis. This means that you do not have to pay them upfront for legal costs or court fees. They will only get paid if your case wins in court through either a verdict or settlement.
Who Will I File My Vape Lawsuit Against?
Vape lawsuits are filed against the companies that made and sold dangerous vape products.
Vape products continue to pose unnecessary health threats. Even worse, some vape companies like JUUL may have been targeting teenagers in their advertising campaigns.
According to the U.S. Surgeon General, teenagers can become addicted to nicotine easier than adults. Nicotine addiction can lead to problems with emotions, impulse control, and memory in people under the age of 25.
Vaping companies have taken measures to reduce teen nicotine use, however, daily e-cigarette use among young people more than doubled between 2012 and 2015.
Get Legal Assistance for Vape Pen Injuries and Illnesses
Today, those who have been harmed or become ill from vape products are taking legal action against vape companies.
Lawsuits involving nicotine addiction, chemical exposure, other health concerns, and vape battery explosions are currently pending throughout the United States. These lawsuits want to bring justice to victims and make sure others are protected.
Other vaping health risks are still being studied and may be the subject of lawsuits in the future.
If you were harmed by a vape pen or another e-cigarette product, don’t wait. There may be legal help available to you.
To learn more, get a free case review today.